Materials: (1) Tape measure, (1) Stop watch
- Subjects are instructed to perform large one-legged hops in series over the total distance (6m)
- The stopwatch is started when the patient’s heel lifts from the starting position and is stopped the moment that the tested foot passes the finish line
- Measurement is recorded to the nearest 10th of a second
Video Demonstration from Brian Schwabe, DPT, CSCS
|Munro et al, 2011||Recreational Female Athletes (Average age= 22.3)||Test-Retest Reliability||0.84|
|Recreational Male Athletes (Average age= 22.8)||0.60|
|Reid et al, 2007||Young adults (Average age= 25.6) s/p ACLR||Test-Retest Reliability||0.82|
|Brosky et al, 1999||Young Males (Average age= 26.0) s/p ACLR||Test-Retest Reliability||0.88 – 0.97|
|Bolgla et al, 1997||Asymptomatic Young adults (Average age= 24.5)||Test-Retest Reliability||0.66|
|Study||Population||Study Design||Limb Symmetry Index||MDC|
|Munro et al, 2011||Recreational Female Athletes (Average age= 22.3)||Descriptive Laboratory Study||99.5%||–|
|Recreational Male Athletes (Average age= 22.8)||99.2%||–|
|Myers et al, 2011||Young adults w/o History of ACLR (Average age= 16.9)||Case Control||100.0%||–|
|Young adults w/ History of ACLR (Average age=16.9 )||96.0%||–|
|Reid et al, 2007||Young adults (Average age= 25.6) 16 weeks s/p ACLR||Prospective, observational with repeated measures||81.7%||13.0%|
|Young adults (Average age= 25.6) 22 weeks s/p ACLR||89.6%||13.0%|
1. Bolgla LA, Keskula DR. Reliability of lower extremity functional performance tests. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 1997; 26: 138-142.
2. Brosky JA, Nitz AJ, Malone TR, et al. Intrarater reliability of selected clinical outcome measures following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 1999; 29: 39-48.
3. Reid A, et al. Hop Testing Provides a Reliable and Valid Outcome Measure During Rehabilitation After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Physical Therapy. 2007; 87(3): 337–349.
4. Munro AG, Herrington LC. Between-session reliability of four hop tests and the agility T-test. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2011; 25(5): 1470-1477.
5. Myer GD, et al. Utilization of Modified NFL Combine Testing to Identify Functional Deficits in Athletes Following ACL Reconstruction. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2011; 41(6): 377–388.
Only change I would make is having the timer at the finish line to be more exact.